[pyngl-talk] netcdf4-python vs PyNIO, was: xray et al (PyNIO, pandas, R)

Tom Roche Tom_Roche at pobox.com
Mon Jun 15 13:29:39 MDT 2015

Louis Wicker Mon, 15 Jun 2015 13:27:27 -0500 [1]
> Are u aware of [netcdf4-python][2] from Jeff Whitaker?

I thought PyNIO was "the NCAR way" to interact with netCDF from "the NumPy world." Plainly I am mistaken! So my next question is, how do netcdf4-python and PyNIO compare/contrast? Why use one rather than the other?

(And the question after that is, does answering the first question require stepping into some kinda political minefield ?-)

TIA, Tom Roche <Tom_Roche at pobox.com>

[1]: http://mailman.ucar.edu/pipermail/pyngl-talk/2015-June/000044.html
[2]: https://github.com/Unidata/netcdf4-python