[Nsa] Notes and Next Mtg. of the Climate and Human Systems Project

Brian ONeill boneill at ucar.edu
Fri Jan 10 12:07:53 MST 2014

Colleagues,
Happy 2014! This is a reminder about upcoming dates for the CHSP project:

1. Tuesday Jan 21: Our next meeting, 2-3 pm in the Damon Room, where we
will hear from Julio and Andrew on their planned work on cyclone
activity and impacts as a contribution to the BRACE avoided impacts study .

2. Jan 31: Deadline for extended abstracts to be submitted to me
describing your planned or proposed contribution to the avoided impacts
study (and journal special issue). For details see the CHSP website, in
particular the notes from the Dec. 3 meeting which describes the
requested content of the abstract. If you have a new idea for a
contribution, please get in touch with me first to see if it would in
principle fit the scope of the study.

Also, we have set up a mailing list specifically for CHSP, and will soon
migrate to sending out these announcements only to that list. So please
sign up at http://mailman.cgd.ucar.edu/mailman/listinfo/chsp if you are
interested in continuing to receive emails related to the project.
best
Brian

On 12/7/2013 11:57 AM, Brian O'Neill wrote:
> Dear colleagues,
> Thanks to all of you who were able to attend the recent Climate and
> Human Systems Project (CHSP) meeting, and to those who expressed their
> interest even if they were unable to attend. Notes and slides from
> that meeting are now up on the project wiki, which can be accessed
> through the CHSP website (http://chsp.ucar.edu/, access the wiki
> through the "Internal | Login" link on the right side of the page).
> Please have a look there especially at the "next steps" section of the
> Dec 3 meeting notes. As discussed at the meeting, we are just getting
> started on a study of avoided impacts (acronym: BRACE). Anyone
> interested in participating who has not yet submitted a short
> description of a proposed analysis (see wiki for current list) should
> get in touch with me, so that we can discuss whether their particular
> idea would fit within the study framework. The goal is to then have
> 2-3 page extended abstracts for all proposed studies by the end of
> January.
>
> The next meeting will be held Tuesday, Jan 21, 2-3 pm in the Damon
> Room. Julio Bacmeister and Andrew Gettelman will be presenting plans
> for (and maybe progress on?) two proposed papers, one on simulating
> tropical cyclone activity under RCP8.5 and RCP4.5, and the other on
> estimating economic impacts of that activity.  Future monthly meetings
> will similarly be organized around presentations of plans/progress for
> other papers making up the study.
>
> Apologies for the broadcast nature of this email. In the near future
> we will have an email list set up for CHSP so that you can sign up (or
> not) to receive these notifications, and then will switch to only
> using that list.
> best
> Brian
>

> On 11/19/2013 1:06 PM, Stephanie Shearer wrote:
>> TO:  NCAR Scientist Assembly
>>
>> FROM:  Brian O'Neill, CGD Climate and Human Systems Project
>>
>> SUBJECT:  Invitation to attend the December 3, 2013 Meeting
>> of the Climate and Human Systems Project
>>
>> Dear Colleagues,
>>
>> As some of you may know, CGD created a new cross-cutting
>> project earlier this year called the Climate and Human
>> Systems Project (CHSP), intended to foster work across the
>> physical, human, and ecological dimensions of climate change
>> within CGD, as well as between CGD, other parts of NCAR and
>> external partners. We have been meeting monthly within CGD
>> since June to decide on initial goals of the project, and
>> concluded that a main activity would be carrying out a
>> cross-cutting research project that included all three of
>> these dimensions of the climate issue. We decided to focus
>> on the topic of avoided impacts; that is, the reduction in
>> impacts that would occur if the world achieved a lower level
>> of climate change as compared to a higher one. These impacts
>> will include physical impacts on the climate system as well
> [...]

Brian O'Neill
Climate and Global Dynamics (CGD) Division &
Integrated Science Program
National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR)
P.O. Box 3000
Boulder, CO 80307
USA
tel: +1-303-497-8118