[Nsa] Notes and Next Mtg. of the Climate and Human Systems Project

Brian ONeill boneill at ucar.edu
Fri Jan 24 16:22:57 MST 2014

Hi all,
In our Climate and Human Systems Project meeting earlier this week, we
heard from Julio Bacmeister and Andrew Gettelman on their plans for
looking at differences in cyclone activity, and its consequences for
damage to physical infrastructure, between RCPs 8.5 and 4.5. Slides and
brief notes are up on the wiki (accessible through the CHSP website at
https://chsp.ucar.edu/).

We decided to postpone our February meeting to March -- specifically
*Tuesday, March 4, at 2 pm* in the Damon Room -- given the AMS meeting,
CESM WG meeetings, and CLM tutorial going on in February. However, I
think we should keep our original March 11 meeting date as well, and
just double up that month, so we stay on track (I have listed future
meeting dates below). On the 4th, we will address the topic of how
extreme events are being handled across several studies in order to make
sure it is as consistent as possible, and we'll hear short reports from
Claudia Tebaldi, Steve Sain, Ben Sanderson, and Keith Oleson
(preliminary list), followed by discussion.

Two reminders:

1. The end of this month (i.e., next Friday) is the deadline for
submitting ~2 page extended abstracts for papers you'd like to include
in the special issue. I have listed below the content that should be
included (this is also on the wiki in the notes for the December meeting).

2. Remember to sign up for the CHSP mailing list! You can do that on the
CHSP site (https://chsp.ucar.edu/), via the link on the right side of
the page. In the near future we will be switching over to that list and
not sending these emails out broadly anymore.

thanks
Brian

Future meeting dates (all on Tuesdays, 2-3 pm, Damon Room)

March 4 - Extremes
March 11 - Socioeconomic scenarios and assumptions
April 15
May 13
June 3

Content of Extended Abstracts

- Title and planned contributors
- Main objective and/or question to be addressed
- At least a brief description of relevant literature and in what way
this study will be novel
- Methodology: include brief description of how the study will be
carried out, including model simulations, CMIP5 analysis, etc. (e.g., as
already produced for existing short descriptions). Please also be more
specific to the extent possible including:
     - what variables will be focused on (e.g., rather than just
"extremes" say which ones and which metrics you are planning to use)
     - what climate or socioeconomic scenarios will be used
     - what geographic scale (global? focus on particular region(s)?)
     - what timescale (outcomes over the entire century? beyond? focus
on a particular time window?)
- What is the relationship to other papers in the study? In some cases
they may be fairly stand-alone (just sharing the use of RCP8.5 and 4.5
with other studies), in other cases there are tighter links (e.g.
tropical cyclone simulations in one paper and estimating economic
consequences of those simulations in another).

--
Brian O'Neill
Climate and Global Dynamics (CGD) Division &
boneill at ucar.edu
http://www.cgd.ucar.edu/ccr/iam/