[Nsa] NEW Guidelines on Submission of Solicited and Unsolicited Proposals by NCAR to NSF

Roger M. Wakimoto wakimoto at ucar.edu
Fri Nov 16 07:15:44 MST 2012

Dear NSA,

You have informed us on a number of occasions that salary support for
senior personnel on "solicited" proposals submitted to NSF was one of
your greatest concerns.  As a result, we initiated a number of
discussions with NSF/AGS on this topic and wrote a white paper outlining
the main reasons why we believed LT and Project Scientists should be
able to request salary support.

AGS agreed with our arguments and sent out final guidance to NCAR. This
1-page document was forwarded to all Directors and was discussed with
AGS Management via videocon at the NCAR Directors' Committee Meeting
yesterday.  There are some restrictions so please read the document
carefully.  I should also point out that the guidance is valid starting
today and cannot be applied retroactively (i.e., you cannot ask for
additional salary support on a current NSF award).  Talk to your
Directors/Managers for further clarification. Steve Nelson noted that
since this will be applied Foundation-wide there could be some confusion
with program officers working in other divisions/directorates.
Questions or concerns should be addressed to Steve but the NCAR point of
contact should be Valerie Koch (valeriek at ucar.edu).  Valerie will
forward your issues/concerns to Steve.

The first opportunity to apply these new guidelines should be for the
upcoming solicitation - "Interdisciplinary Research in Hazards and
Disasters (Hazards SEES)".

I want to acknowledge and thank Rena Brasher-Alleva who worked
diligently on the white paper and was involved in several telecons with
AGS as we argued your case.

Please let me know if you have any questions or comments.

Roger

--
Roger M. Wakimoto, Director
NCAR