[Nsa] Qualifications for the NCAR Director and draft set of questions for candidates

B.C. Low low at ucar.edu
Thu Apr 3 14:18:07 MDT 2008

Dear Rick,

I do resonate with the inputs from Beth Holland.  There are two aspects
that seem very important to me.  What we lay down as criteria and who
happen to have applied for the position can be quite separate.  A search
process can be very successful if the applicant pool is sufficiently
rich for us to see the actual dimensions of these criteria through the
real people who have applied.  From that perspective, I feel the
following considerations are essential.

I would like to see an NCAR Director who is foremost an accomplished
scientist, having done first class scientific work and being recognized
for it.  The single central criterion for being a Senior Scientist at
NCAR is scientific excellence, and the NCAR Director should meet that
criterion at the highest level among us.  Such a Director will bring the
scientific best out of us.

Beth's concern about scientific integrity is worth watching out for.
Integrity is harder to practice than people are willing to admit and in
the complexity of our evolved scientific community, we are actually
easily challenged on it by the things we run into each day.  Having the
talents and opportunity to have done first class scientific work is the
base upon which an individual sees directly the value and motivation to
practice integrity.  An NCAR Director of well known integrity can bring
the best out of us on this count.

We of course want more than an excellent scientist for a Director.  He
or she must have a broad vision of what our scientific institute is
about; an understanding of how that vision might be realistic in the way
things are; and, an outstanding set of demonstrable leadership and
administrative abilities the job demands.  We cannot compromise on
either counts, (a) scientific accomplishment and (b) community and
administrative leadership.

Global Change is now accepted to be real by the world community.  There
is a lot of hard core science to do and a lot of interaction with policy
bodies and the public to conduct.  If we think all that is important,
neither of the two counts can be compromised.  We also want someone
young, in my opinion, so that our future is all wrapped up with the
Director who too has a future to think about.  I would rather count on a
demonstrable promise of a great leader.  I hope the Search Committee
will have the good fortune of making a careful but bold recommendation,
and you as UCAR President will have the privilege of making a bold but
well calculated decision.

I recently sat down with a Director of an NCAR sized Institute and he
happily spent 45 minutes talking about an MHD problem, coming into it
cold but nevertheless giving it undivided attention.  That day, he was
going to deal with a theoretical exercise about what he would do if his
budget was to be cut by a sizable proportion.  Maybe he was dreading the
rest of that day!  We want a Director who has not lost the scientific
passion that brought most of us into this profession?

Regards and good luck to our search,
BC