[Nsa] Qualifications for the NCAR Director and draft set of questions for candidates

Rick Anthes anthes at ucar.edu
Thu Apr 3 09:39:14 MDT 2008

Thanks Beth,
We will be sure to include the questions you ask, though they are
certainly part of Q3 which I sent around:

3. The NCAR program comprises a broad range of research areas and a
number of different community facilities. The research areas include
atmospheric sciences broadly defined, weather prediction, climate,
atmospheric chemistry, oceanography, solar physics and others, and the
facilities range from the development, provision, and maintenance of
observing and computing facilities, to developing community models.
 What do you think are the appropriate balances among the various
research areas and among the community facilities? As NCAR Director, how
would you go about evaluating the appropriate balances, and how would
you go about achieving them?

Regarding scientific integrity, I think that goes without saying as an
essential criterion--and someone at the NSA meeting mentioned this.
Like honesty.  If the search committee or I find out that this is
lacking in a candidate you can be sure we will disqualify the candidate
from further consideration.

Finally, regarding the criteria, I mentioned that they are very easily
derived from the duties and requirements.  For example, the first
requirement "demonstrated ability to lead on a broad intellectual front"
is a criterion--the search committee will be using this and the other
requirements as their criteria.

You can be sure we take your last point very seriously.

We have not had much input from the NSA about suggested names--there is
still time!
Thanks again.
Rick

Dr. Elisabeth(Beth) A. Holland wrote:
> Dear Rick,
>
> Thank you for the opportunity to provide input to the director search
> process.  I think it is important to provide a voice for the
> scientific leadership of NCAR.
>
> I have a few concerns based on your recent e-mail.
>
> First, during your meeting with the NSA, I thought we had come to an
> understanding that we, the NSA, would have the opportunity to review
> the criteria that would be used to evaluate the director candidates.
> I found the discussion concerning the need for an emphasis on
> scientific integrity particularly compelling.  Referring us to the web
> site, the description, duties and requirements does not address the
> values and criteria that will be used for selection, nor does it
> address the issue of scientific integrity.
>
> Second, I would like to see more focus on the candidate's view on the
> balance between conducting science and providing facilities. It is
> really important for the committee to get a sense of the candidate's
> vision for NCAR. I suggest:
> 1) What is your vision for NCAR's evolving role in atmospheric
> SCIENCES in the US and internationally?
>
> Among the particular questions I would include:
> In your view, how should NCAR balance using external and core funds to
> pursue its mission?
> What is NCAR's mission?
>
> I am ccing the NSA on this to invite their input and discussion.  The
> decision itself of who will be the next NCAR rests with you and the
> search committee.  I trust that you will choose a person who will lead
> NCAR to continue to  realize its tremendous scientific potential.
>
> Beth Holland
>

> On Mar 16, 2008, at 9:59 AM, Rick Anthes wrote:
>
>> <Possible Questions2008.doc>

Dr.Richard A. Anthes
Phone:  303-497-1652

President
P.O. Box 3000
Boulder, CO  80307-3000

For delivery via express mail, please use:

1850 Table Mesa Drive
Boulder, CO  80305