[nclpy-group] Welcome to the NCL/Python tools group

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Tue Jun 30 15:32:00 MDT 2015

Hi everyone,

Thanks for joining the nclpy-group!

You can email this group using "nclpy-group at ucar.edu".

This is the first official message posted to the group, and if I set it up
correctly, you should be able to this and future messages archived at:

http://mailman.ucar.edu/pipermail/nclpy-group/

The purpose of this group is to give the core developers and power users of
our tools (NCL, PyNIO, PyReshaper, PyAverager, PyNGL) a forum to discuss
high-level ideas and guide development priorities.
If there's interest, we could consider giving members of this group direct
access to our source code repositories to contribute code.

We've had internal conversations with some of you individually regarding
this list. The following comments were made:

   - Open the list to anybody who wants to join.

   Right now, this list is by invitation-only. We invited our top users and
   contributors. We are certainly open to the idea of making this list more
   general. We welcome your thoughts on this.

   - There were concerns about this being an NCL *and* a Python group.

   Some folks are interested in one topic, but not the other. We can try
   this as one combined group for now, and then split it up if it makes sense.
   Our NCL and Python work is likely going to become more tightly coupled in
   the coming near future, so it makes sense to us to discuss them in one
   forum.

   - Some of you felt that you didn't really have anything to contribute.

   That's okay! We just want to have a group of users to bounce ideas off
   of, and if you have something to contribute, then great. Otherwise, you can
   ignore us.

You can unsubscribe at any time, by visiting the same URL as above.

Thanks for your time.  I think we are going to have our first "need your
input" email shortly after this.  :-)

--Mary Haley
  NCAR/CISL/TDD/DVAT (Data Visualization and Analysis Tools) group