[nclpy-group] Feedback on new feature...

Rick Brownrigg brownrig at ucar.edu
Wed Jul 1 09:28:57 MDT 2015

Greetings everyone,

Thanks to Mary for the welcoming introductory note.  We do have a minor
feature in the works for NCL as a language, but one which I think many will
find convenient:  block-comments, whereby one can readily comment out
multiple lines at once.

The question to the group is:  what should that look like?

As a C/C++/Java programmer, my natural inclination would be /*  ...  */
style bracketing comments.  However, I personally think that notation looks
out of place in NCL code.  Given NCL's Fortran influences, we could turn to
that language -- I'm surprised however that modern Fortran does not have a
block-comment (?)

With ";" being NCL's line-comment character, one suggestion that has stuck
is

   /;   ...  ;/  bracketing notation.

To those of you who might not be C/C++/Java programmers, is there another
more natural style appropriate for a language like NCL?

We appreciate any comments...

Rick