[ncl-talk] Brown's indicator

Lyndz olagueralyndonmark429 at gmail.com
Thu May 30 05:58:12 MDT 2019

Hi,

I suggest looking at the following resources to compute this. Take note of
the version of NCL used in these resources.

[1] For computing shear and stretching deformation:
https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Contributed/shear_stretch_deform.shtml

[2] For computing absolute vorticity:
First compute the relative vorticity using spherical harmonics:
https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/vort.shtml

Then, you can add the coriolis parameter this way:

     vr = vr + *conform*
<http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/conform.shtml>(vr,
flat, 2) )    ; flat matched the '2-th' dimension of 'vr'
     vr at long_name = "absolute vorticity"
     vr at units     = "per second
     *copy_VarCoords*
<http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Contributed/copy_VarCoords.shtml>(u,
vr)

[3] NCL also provides a way to compute the coriolis parameter:
https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Contributed/coriolis_param.shtml

or you can also do it this way:

    W   = 7.292e-5                   ; (1/s)     ; earth ang rotation
     rad = 4.*atan(1.)/180.
     f   = 2.*W*sin(lat*rad)          ; (1/s)     ; coriolis parameter

Then, applying Brown's indicator equation is pretty straighforward.

Sincerely,

*Lyndz*