[ncl-talk] Bug (?) in filled contours since version NCL 6.5.

Rick Brownrigg brownrig at ucar.edu
Tue May 14 14:37:09 MDT 2019

Hi Michael,

Several of us have taken a look at this issue and are able to replicate the
results with your script (Thanks for the nice clean example!). Oddly, the
bug occurs in very subtly different way between my Linux machine and my Mac
(the shape of the improper fill is the same, the colors are different).

I am afraid that finding a proper fix for this will take considerable
effort, and with our current staffing levels will, we will not be able to
address this in the immediate future. However, I may have a work-around
that might be acceptable.  I noticed that the viewport settings are pushed
right up against the top edge of the plot (its rare to see NCL plots like
this).  On a hunch, I offset it slightly interior to the plot, so:

   res at vpYF = 0.99999    ;; rather than 1.0

and the problem goes away.  One can not perceive the offset visually.-- it
looks flush with the top edge.

You might give this a shot to see if the incidence of intermittently
incorrect plots goes down.  I would be curious to hear what you find out.

I hope that helps...
Rick