[ncl-talk] Precip Variable Not Pulling in Enough Values Across Multiple Files

Dennis Shea shea at ucar.edu
Mon May 13 22:44:08 MDT 2019

[1] Likely a transmission error. You would have to resend using a slightly
different file name.

-rw-r--r--@  1 shea  2200  288249386 May 13 17:04
wrf2d_d01_CTRL_PREC_ACC_NC_200010-200012.nc

%> *ncdump -h* wrf2d_d01_CTRL_PREC_ACC_NC_200010-200012.nc

*NetCDF: HDF error*
====

[2] a comment.

[SNIP]
;---use grid point data
;   set lat-lon coordinates to match Trial Lake
    a  = 40.68
    b  = -110.95

    lat2d = f_in[0]->XLAT(0,:,:)
    lon2d = f_in[0]->XLONG(0,:,:)
    lat   = lat2d(:,0)             ;* technically not correct; depending on
grid ... could be very wrong*
    lon   = lon2d(0,:)

;   use ndtooned to transform lat and lon into 1d arrays to find closest
gridpoint to Trial Lake
    alat = ndtooned(lat2d)
    alon = ndtooned(lon2d)

    s_lat = closest_val(a,lat)
    s_lon = closest_val(b,lon)

;   get x-y indices for lat-lon data, convert back to verify accuracy
    nm = getind_latlon2d(lat2d,lon2d,lat(s_lat),lon(s_lon))
    nm1 = nm(0,0)
    nm2 = nm(0,1)
    print(nm)

*; Correct way*

*    NM = getind_latlon2d(lat2d,lon2d,a,b)    ; <== this is the correct
way    NM1 = NM(0,0)    NM2 = NM(0,1)    print(NM)*

[3]*  I* think people would hesitate to debug the script. It is very busy.
IMHO: it would require substantial time. EG:

   Nov = new(n_years-1, "float")
   do i = 0, n_years-2
       s_date7  = years(i) + "110100"
       s_time7 = ind(grid_t.EQ.s_date7)
       print(s_time7)
       e_time7 = s_time7 + Nov_hr
       Nov(i) = sum(f_in[:]->PREC_ACC_NC(s_time7:e_time7,nm1,nm2))
       print(Nov)
   end do

[4]

 f = *addfiles*("wrf2d_d01_2019-*","r")
 sTime = *tostring*(f[:]->Times)

 yyyy_wrf = *toint*(str_get_cols(sTime, 0,3))
 mm_wrf  = toint(str_get_cols(sTime, 5,6))
 dd_wrf   = toint(str_get_cols(sTime, 8,9))
 hh_wrf   = toint(str_get_cols(sTime, 10,11))

 iJan = *ind*(mm_wrf.eq. 1)      ; monthly indices
printVarSummary(iJan)

 pJan =* f[:]*->PREC(iJan,:,:)   ; All January days and time
 printVarSummary(pJan)
 printMinMax(pJan)