[ncl-talk] A spatial band-pass filter

Dennis Shea shea at ucar.edu
Fri May 3 14:42:45 MDT 2019

[1] I speculate the formula to which you refer applies to cartesian grids
and not grids on a sphere.

[2] Most commonly, filters are used on time series. However, they could be
applied to any series [Time, or space].

[3] NCL can perform spherical harmonic analysis/synthesis functions. So, if
you want spatial band pass filter on a sphere, you may wish to: (a)
perform a spherical harmonic analysis; (b) set the appropriate coefficients
to zero; and (c) perform a spherical harmonic syntheses. Technically, you
should do some form of tapering on the retained coefficients to minimize
Gibb's effects.

(b) is the tricky part
---
Good luck