[ncl-talk] downloading partial netcdf file

Micah Sklut micahs2005 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 10 11:56:20 MDT 2019

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for your response. This isn't an NCL specific question, but I don't
see any tools that could allow you to download only specific variables from
a large remote netcdf file.
I'm looking a downloading lots of large files (~1GB), of which I only need
a small percentage of the variables included in the file.

I know with the NOAA grib files, there are some tools (scripts) that let
you only download the specific variables. I believe this is done by
figuring out the specific lines that are needed in the files, and only
parsing those lines. I didn't know if there was some standard way to do
this with netcdf. Thus far, I've come to believe there is not, but figured
this community would be a good place to ask.

On Mon, Jun 10, 2019 at 1:35 PM Dennis Shea <shea at ucar.edu> wrote:

> re: " ... *only downloading specific variables of a NetCDF file"*
>
> The question is unclear. In what context?
> Are you talking about accessing a variable from a remote site [ eg: a NOAA
> server ] from within a NCL script?
>      See: *https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/opendap.shtml*
> <https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/opendap.shtml>
>
> ----
>
> The ESRL: PSD site provides
> *https://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/data/gridded/using_dods.html#software*
> <https://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/data/gridded/using_dods.html#software>
>
> links to a number of tools to do what you want
>
> Good luck
>
> On Mon, Jun 10, 2019 at 10:01 AM Micah Sklut <micahs2005 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I haven't found any info regarding only downloading specific variables of
>> a NetCDF file, but I just wanted to check with the NCL community in case I
>> am missing something.
>>
>> Thank you.

Micah Sklut