[ncl-talk] read netcdf file

Cathy Smith cathy.smith at noaa.gov
Mon Jun 10 08:36:45 MDT 2019

Hi

As the file was obtained from NOAA/PSD, I should say that ncdump works
fine on the file (and on netCDF4 files in general). Perhaps the version
of ncdump which Soma is not current  (e.g. has HDF5 support). Also, I
can't tell from this thread, but possibly Soma did not download the file
completley or it was corrupted during transfer (which would give that
error). I believe ncl_filedump would also fail then (but perhaps not;
maybe it can deal with incomplete netCDF files).

Cathy Smith

On 6/9/19 12:33 PM, Rick Brownrigg wrote:
> Hi,
>
> ncdump is not a part of ncl.  The file appears to be a NetCDF4 file,
> which apparently ncdump can not open. Ncl's utility "ncl_filedump"
> opens the file just fine. I would note however, that you are using a
> version of NCL that is rather old by now, and may not have full
> NetCDF4/HDF5 support, so I would encourage you to upgrade to the
> latest version 6.6.2:
>
> http://ncl.ucar.edu/Download/
>
> Rick
>
> On Sun, Jun 9, 2019 at 8:10 AM Aluthgama Hewage
> <aluthgamahewage1 at gmail.com <mailto:aluthgamahewage1 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>     I am using ncl version 6.0.0 and tried to use ncdump but it
>     doesn't work.
>
>     ncdump -h precip.mon.mean.nc <http://precip.mon.mean.nc>
>     ncdump: precip.mon.mean.nc <http://precip.mon.mean.nc>: NetCDF:
>     Unknown file format
>

>     On Sun, 9 Jun 2019 at 19:15, Rick Brownrigg <brownrig at ucar.edu
>     <mailto:brownrig at ucar.edu>> wrote:
>
>         Hi,
>
>         NCL can certainly get the job done for you.  But I agree with
>         Soma's comments -- you'll need to invest some effort. Check
>         out the NCL User's guide:
>
>         http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Manuals/NCL_User_Guide/
>
>         and the NCL examples pages:
>
>         http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/
>
>         and in particular, this function:
>
>         http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/addfile.shtml
>
>         Rick
>
>         On Sun, Jun 9, 2019 at 6:00 AM Soma Roy <somaroy892 at gmail.com
>         <mailto:somaroy892 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>             Please go through the basics of programming that required
>             for data processing..
>
>             Several examples are there in ncl example pages..you just
>             need to put an effort.
>
>             Cheers,
>             Soma
>
>             On Sun, Jun 9, 2019, 16:45 Aluthgama Hewage
>             <aluthgamahewage1 at gmail.com
>             <mailto:aluthgamahewage1 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>                 Hello All,
>                 I downloaded GPCP version 2.3 precipitation data
>                 precip.mon.mean.nc <http://precip.mon.mean.nc> from
>
>                 https://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/data/gridded/data.gpcp.html#detail**
>
>                 but I cannot read the data.How can I read this data.
>

>                 Thank you.
>
>                 Hewage

NOAA/ESRL PSD and CU CIRES
303-497-6263
https://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/people/cathy.smith/

Emails about data/webpages may get quicker responses from emailing
esrl.psd.data at noaa.gov