[ncl-talk] merging netcdf files with cdo

Zilore Mumba zmumba at gmail.com
Fri Aug 23 10:38:51 MDT 2019

i think posting to ncl-talk was not entirely wrong since there is an aspect
of ncl (and cdo) in it. thankfully Rick's answer is confirmed as due to
memory problem. After passing six files unmerged, the program ran and was
killed after 30% execution. Before it was zero execution.
Thanks very much all.

On Thu, Aug 22, 2019 at 8:18 PM Dennis Shea <shea at ucar.edu> wrote:

> *perl*/*CDO*/*python* : *No NCL*. Why is the question posted to *ncl-talk*
> ?

> [1] re: "running icclim (a *python library for index calculation* from
> CNRM-CERFACS-France) fails, giving a message killed"
>
> Rick's answer is correct.
>
> Maybe posting a python based question to ?stackexchange? or CERFACS would
> be best?
>
> [2] Certainly, ncl-talk people are not readily familiar  with "several
> RCMs". What RCM's?
>
> When this type of question is posted to any group, you should include
> [attach] the output from (say) 'ncdump -h' both  a sample source and the
> '"merged" (concatenated) file. Otherwise, people are just guessing.
>
> merging the files with nco "ncrcat  file1.nc ... file6.nc output.nc" is
> worse.
>
> Maybe try the NCO 'ncrcat' operator. This requires that 'time' be
> "UNLIMITED"
>
> %> *ncrcat *-O file[1-6].nc  output_ncrcat.nc
>
> Good Luck
>
> On Thu, Aug 22, 2019 at 9:01 AM Rick Brownrigg via ncl-talk <
> ncl-talk at ucar.edu> wrote:
>
>> Hi Zilore,
>>
>> I don't know the answer to your specific science question(s), but if
>> icclim is terminating with a message that simply says "killed", then that's
>> a Linux system's very unhelpful way of saying it ran out of memory
>> entirely.  Are you indeed running under Linux and are the data you are
>> processing rather large?
>>
>> Rick
>>

>> On Thu, Aug 22, 2019 at 7:42 AM Zilore Mumba via ncl-talk <
>> ncl-talk at ucar.edu> wrote:
>>
>>> I have five yearly data from several RCMs, i.e 19510101 to 19551231, ...
>>> 20050101 to 20101231. These are tasmax, tasmin and precip. I want to work
>>> on climate indices on these files, but only interested in the period
>>> 19710101 to 20001231. I have written a perl script which combines six files
>>> with the command "cdo file1.nc file2.nc ... file6.nc outputfile.nc".
>>> The perl scrip seems to work fine.
>>> However:
>>> 1. ncdump -h combined file gives the right number of times in the file,
>>> 10958 365x30+8 leap years)
>>> 2. display in ncl displays the map ok