[ncl-talk] Computation of Density from WRF outputs

Dennis Shea shea at ucar.edu
Sat Aug 17 10:15:58 MDT 2019

[1] NCL is language focused.   Your comment/question:

",,,Qvapor, qcloud, qrain, qice, qgraupel. Do I need to account for all the
Qs? If so, how? I don’t suppose that I could just add them all up? Or is
only Qvapor relevant for kinetic energy computations in a Hurricane?"

is science focused. I'd suggest talking with your advisor.

[2] re: "How do we not have an in-built NCL function for computing NCL
already? "
I assume you mean:
            "How do we not have a built-in NCL function for computing
density already?"

Please contact the WRF people:  wrfhelp at ucar.edu

====================
Ideal gas law:  p = (density)*RD*(temperature)
                        Hence:
                        density = p/(RD*temperature)

  p   => Pa
  qv  => kg/kg  :QVAPOR
  qc =>  kg/kg  :QCLOUD
  t => K

      tv = t*(1+0.609*qv)
   or, maybe
      tv = t*(1+0.609*qv - qc)

  RD    = 287.04         ; [J/(K-kg)] Gas Constant dry air
  density = p/(RD*tv)