[ncl-talk] climo_3.ncl

Adam Phillips asphilli at ucar.edu
Tue Aug 13 09:22:42 MDT 2019

Hi Satareh,
The first rule of data processing is to examine the data you wish to
analyze. Specifically, what type of grid is the data on, what are the
units, what type is the data, etc. In this case, the Xie-Arkin test
data (available
here <http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/Data/cdf/xieArkin-T42.nc>) has
precipitation in units of mm/day. The ESRL/PSD dataset has units in terms
of monthly total of precipitation in mm. Thus, you will have to convert one
dataset or the other to directly compare them.
Adam

On Tue, Aug 13, 2019 at 9:00 AM Setareh Rahimi via ncl-talk <
ncl-talk at ucar.edu> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Regarding climo_3.ncl
> <https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/Scripts/climo_3.ncl> (available on
> https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/climo.shtml ), once I just only
> change the type of data set (using precip.mon.total.v2018.nc, available
> on https://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/data/gridded/data.gpcc.html), I get
> something weird, almost everywhere receives more than 10mm precipitation.
> It is not reasonable. Why did this happen? Please kindly guide me in this
> regard. The script and images have been attached.
> Best wishes,
> --
> S.Rahimi

Adam Phillips