[ncl-talk] Errors using get_isolines and area_poly_sphere together

Philippe Papin pppapin at gmail.com
Mon Apr 29 14:26:08 MDT 2019

Hi All,

Thanks for all the replies to this thread. I'll try out the
*eliminate_dups.ncl* function that Dennis has provided above and let you
know if this resolves my issue.

Rick was correct that I was observing duplicate 2d lat lon pairs, and not
just in one dimension. I would still be curious to understand why this
happens sometimes in the get_isolines output, as it seems like having the
same exact same set of lat,lon pairs in a contour dataset would be
redundant.

Cheers,
Philippe

On Mon, Apr 29, 2019 at 1:09 PM Dennis Shea <shea at ucar.edu> wrote:

> *Also: get_unique_values
> <http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/get_unique_values.shtml>*
> may not return values in the order one might expect. See the end of this
> email.
>
> -----
> See attached library: *eliminate_dups.ncl*
>
> It  eliminates (removes) assorted duplicate sequences.
> For some reason these functions were never included in an NCL release.
>
> Some  test functions are included.
>
> Maybe:  *eliminate_dup_pairs_all *or *eliminate_dup_pairs_consecutive*
>
> is what Phillipe would want to use
>
> Let me know if these do/don't do the job.
>
> ===
> The following illustrates the *eliminate_dup_all*
>

> * %> ncl test_x.eliminate_dups.ncl*
>
> * %> ncl test_xy.eliminate_dups.ncl*
> ===
>
>   s     = (/"qqqq","1234","qqqq","9999","ert","vve","qqqq","9999"/)
>   sout  = *eliminate_dup_all*(s)
> *; outpu*t
>   sout   = (/ "qqqq","1234", "9999","ert","vve" /)
>
>   SOUT  = *eliminate_dup_all_unique(*s)     ; <== calls
> *get_unique_values*
> <http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/get_unique_values.shtml>
> *output:*
>   SOUT = (/ "1234","9999", "ert","qqqq", "vve" /)

> On Mon, Apr 29, 2019 at 10:44 AM Rick Brownrigg <brownrig at ucar.edu> wrote:
>
>> Thanks to Rashed for replying here. However, I'm not sure
>> get_unique_values() will do the job, as it expects a 1D array, and what
>> Philippe needs is something to weed out duplicates in both lon *and* lat.
>> In looking around, I don't see an NCL function that will do this -- it
>> might likely involve writing a loop to do this yourself. I don't know if
>> one can simply replace any found duplicates with _FillValue and get correct
>> behavior, or if one must actually remove the duplicates from the array.
>>

>> On Mon, Apr 29, 2019 at 6:58 AM Rashed Mahmood <rashidcomsis at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Philippe,
>>> I think, it makes sense to expect two same lat or lon for a circle since
>>> at two different longitudes there could be possibility of getting two
>>> latitudes and vice versa. To get unique values, you can use the following
>>> function:
>>> For example:
>>>
>>>  y:= get_unique_values(y)
>>>

>>> https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/get_unique_values.shtml
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Rashed

Philippe P. Papin, Ph.D.
NRC Research Associate
Global Modeling Division
Naval Research Laboratory - Monterey, CA
http://www.atmos.albany.edu/student/ppapin/