[ncl-talk] Adding a line on a map with additional conditions

Adam Phillips asphilli at ucar.edu
Thu Apr 25 13:56:49 MDT 2019

Hi Lyndz,
That is a rather subjective line that you've drawn there, and I do not know
of an automatic way for NCL to identify that line and return the
coordinates of it. The closest function that NCL has is the get_isolines
function:
https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/get_isolines.shtml
But that function returns coordinates of contour lines.  Perhaps another
user would have a better suggestion.
Adam

On Thu, Apr 25, 2019 at 1:33 AM Lyndz <olagueralyndonmark429 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Dear NCL-experts.
>
> I am plotting the potential temperature gradient and I want to:
>
> [1] Extract the location (lat-lon points) along a region of minimum
> temperature gradient.
> [2] Save the output of [1] to a text file
> [3] Draw a line over the region with minimum potential temperature
> gradient.
>
> The desired output is as shown in the attached figure (test_ncl.jpg).
>
> The file that I am using can be accessed in the following link:
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/epkk2jtwis5sfuc/pottemp_gradient_jan_2017.nc?dl=0
>
> I am also attaching my script in generating the plot.
>
> Any suggestions on how to do this correctly in NCL?
> I'll appreciate any help regarding this.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Lyndz

Adam Phillips