[ncl-talk] Trying to understand code in NCL example documentation...

Srishti Dasarathy srdasara at ucsd.edu
Thu Apr 25 10:29:47 MDT 2019

Dear NCL-talk community,

I have a bit of an unusual question. I'm currently in the midst of
transferring my code over to MATLAB for various reasons, but I'm having
trouble understanding the syntax of certain sections pasted here
<https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/calipso.shtml> under calipso_3.ncl.
I was wondering if you can help me understand what is going on.

I am trying to produce a similar imagine in MATLAB, but do not understand
these lines completely even after looking at the documentation.

The lines I'm struggling to understand are below:

;----------------------------------------------
;  ASSIGN NEW DIMENSIONS AND ATTRIBUTES TO COORDINATE CALIPSO DATA
WITH  ;  ALTITUDE
;----------------------------------------------
   depol!0   = "hgt"
   depol&hgt =  hgt
   xcoord    = ispan(0,dimsizes(lat(:,0)) - 1,1)
   depol!1   = "xcoord"
   depol&xcoord = xcoord

I understand that hgt is the array of altitude values, but I do not
understand how depolorization is getting associated with either hgt or
xcoord.

If anyone has any guidance on understanding this code example so that I can
logically transfer the syntax to MATLAB, I'd really appreciate it!

Thank you,
Srishti Dasarathy

--
Srishti Dasarathy