[ncl-talk] fatal:No coordinate variable exists for dimension (lat2d) in variable (p)

zilore mumba zmumba at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 25 01:10:35 MDT 2019

Hello,Though I rarely get assistance on this forum (which may be a signal that my posts are either unreasonable or unclear or both), I will still request for assistance.I have data on a curvilinear grid. I am able to display my data ok. However I would like to mask out data outside my area of interest. For the masking to work (mask_.4.ncl) I think I need to attach coordinates to my variable, otherwise I get a blank plot.Part if my script is given below, and it works up to the line "lon2d    = f->lon" for the case of no masking.
I have been fidgeting with the lines that follow the above line, to effect the masking. The errors I get are indicated against the trials I made.Assistance will be appreciated.

begin
  diri="/home/zmumba/CORDEX/CDO_Out/"
  filename = "month01.nc"
  f = addfile(diri+filename,"r")

  p = f->pr*86400

  lat2d    = f->lat             ; (y,x)
  lon2d    = f->lon             ; (y,x)

; Lines below added to effect masking
  p!0   = "lat2d" ; No error message at this and following line.
  p!1   = "lon2d"

;  p&lat2d = lat2d ; fatal:No coordinate variable exists for dimension (lat2d) in variable (p).
  p&lat2d = lat ; fatal:Variable (lat) is undefined.

  p&lon2d = lon2d ; will obviously give errors as above

; How to formulate the following?
  p&lat2d at units = "degrees_north"
  p&lon2d at units = "degrees_east"
  lat2d at long_name = "latitude"