[ncl-talk] panel_two_sets.ncl

Adam Phillips asphilli at ucar.edu
Mon Apr 15 10:10:13 MDT 2019

Hi Laura,
I believe the panel_two_sets.ncl script was designed to assist folks in
placing 2 sets of individual plots each with their own labelbar.  As you
are paneling two sets of 4 plots each with their own panel labelbar, I
wouldn't use panel_two_sets.ncl. I would do something like this, making
sure to allocate the same amount of vertical space for each set of paneled
plots using gsnPanelTop/gsnPanelBottom:

panres = True
panres at gsnFrame = False
panres at gsnPanelLabelBar = True
panres at lbOrientation = "vertical"
panres at gsnPanelTop = .98
panres at gsnPanelBottom = 0.5
gsn_panel(wks,plot(:3),(/2,2/),panres)
panres at gsnPanelTop = .5
panres at gsnPanelBottom = 0.02
gsn_panel(wks,plot(4:),(/2,2/),panres)
frame(wks)

Hope that helps!
Adam

On Sat, Apr 13, 2019 at 6:13 PM Laura Fowler <laura at ucar.edu> wrote:

> Hello:
>
> I have been trying to use panel_two_sets.ncl along with my own script. Is
> panel_two_sets only supposed to be used with ncols for dims2 less than
> ncols for dims1. I changed the procedure "get_orientation" so that I always
> have a vertical orientation for the label bars.
>
>   if(nrows1.eq.nrows2) then
>
> ;   return("horizontal")
>
>     return("vertical")
>

> with that change, the bottom 4 panels are bigger than the top four panels.
> I assume that panel_two_sets.ncl is not working in this case. Correct? Or
> is it "easy" to modify?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Laura
>

> --

> Laura D. Fowler
>
> Mesoscale and Microscale Meteorology Division (MMM)
> P.O. Box 3000, Boulder CO 80307-3000
>
> e-mail: laura at ucar.edu
> phone: 303-497-1628

Adam Phillips