[ncl-talk] Reading WRF compressed files -- how to?

Dennis Shea shea at ucar.edu
Thu Apr 11 07:35:00 MDT 2019

>From Charlie Zender: *http://nco.sourceforge.net/nco.info-2*
<http://nco.sourceforge.net/nco.info-2>

---

   To compress an entire file using deflation, use
     ncks -4 -L 0 in.nc out.nc # No deflation (fast, no time penalty)
     ncks -4 -L 1 in.nc out.nc # Minimal deflation (little time penalty)
     ncks -4 -L 9 in.nc out.nc # Maximal deflation (much slower)

   Unscientific testing shows that deflation compresses typical climate
datasets by 30-60%.  Packing, a lossy compression technique available
for all netCDF files (see *note Packed data::), can easily compress
files by 50%.  Packed data may be deflated to squeeze datasets by about
80%:
     ncks  -4 -L 1 in.nc out.nc # Minimal deflation (~30-60% compression)
     ncks  -4 -L 9 in.nc out.nc # Maximal deflation (~31-63% compression)
     ncpdq         in.nc out.nc # Standard packing  (~50% compression)
     ncpdq -4 -L 9 in.nc out.nc # Deflated packing  (~80% compression)
   'ncks' prints deflation parameters, if any, to screen (*note ncks
netCDF Kitchen Sink::).

---
The specific version used by netCDF4/HDF5 is that implemented
in the 'zlib' library used by 'gzip'.
---

NCL or any scripting language. Something like (untested)

   diri = "./"
   fili = *systemfunc*("cd "+diri+" ; ls *nc")
   pthi = diri + fili
   nfili = *dimsizes*(fili)

   diro = "./compres/"
   NCKS = "ncks -4 -L 5 "
   do nf=0,nfili-1
         PTHO = diro+fili(nf)
         *system*(NCKS+pthi(nf)+" "+PTHO)
   end do

Test it on a few files.

You could test the timing via* get_cpu_time*
<http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/get_cpu_time.shtml>

   do nf=0,nfili-1
         begTime = *get_cpu_time*()
         PTHO = diro+fili(nf)
         *system*(NCKS+pthi(nf)+" "+PTHO)
         print("nf="+nf+": "+NCKS+" "+filii(nf): " + (*get_cpu_time*()
- begTime)+" seconds")
    end do