[ncl-talk] Changing title font size of panel plot

Toni Klemm toni-klemm at tamu.edu
Tue Oct 30 12:59:53 MDT 2018

Hello!

I am creating a panel plot and need to change the title font size because it is too long (see plot attached).

However, changing the value of tiMainFontHeightF in the script doesn’t change the font height. Is the paneling preventing me from changing the font size, or do I need to add another command to enable it? I checked “Title Resources” (https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/Resources/ti.shtml#tiMainFontHeightF <https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/Resources/ti.shtml#tiMainFontHeightF>) and “PlotManager” (https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/HLUs/Classes/PlotManager.shtml <https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/HLUs/Classes/PlotManager.shtml>) which sounded like under some circumstances the font size might not be changeable. But I didn’t really understand what it meant or what to do.

I also included the part of my script about the paneling of the individual plots (4) below. I appreciate any help!

Thank you,
Toni

;***********************************************
; panel plots together
;***********************************************

	print("5 - Create plot matrix")

  pres                 = True
  pres at gsnMaximize     = False
  pres at gsnPanelRowSpec = True
  pres at gsnPanelCenter  = False
  pres at gsnFrame        = False
  pres at gsnPanelXWhiteSpacePercent	= 10	; horizontal white space between columns in percent
  pres at gsnPanelYWhiteSpacePercent	= 5		; vertical white space between rows in percent
  pres at gsnPanelMainString = RCP_title[h](0) + " | " + fs_title[i](0) + " | " + variable_title[k](0) + " | " + group_title[l](0) + " | Change from 1981-2010 Avg."
  pres at tiMainFontHeightF  = 0.035
  pres at tiMainFont         = 21
;  pres at gsnPanelXF  = (/-1,0.6,0.6,0.6/)

  gsn_panel(wks,plot,(/4,1/),pres)		; EP, NP, CP, and SP horizontally next to each other

  frame(wks)

Toni Klemm, Ph.D.
Postdoctoral Research Associate
Department of Ecosystem Science and Management
College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
Texas A&M University, College Station, TX
Contributor to the Early Career Climate Forum <http://www.eccforum.org/>
www.toni-klemm.de <http://www.toni-klemm.de/> | @toniklemm <http://twitter.com/toniklemm>