[ncl-talk] Non-monotonic time axis - Issue with plotting time-depth section of temperature

Adam Phillips asphilli at ucar.edu
Mon Oct 29 14:15:25 MDT 2018

Hi Jyothi,
Spline approximation error messages frequently happen when either the
1-dimensional data coordinates are non-monotonic (repeating, or not always
increasing or decreasing) or if there are too many grid cells to shade
within a confined space. You are getting an error message on your X-axis,
which in this case points to your zax dimension. I would recommend printing
out the zax array and making sure it is monotonic. If the zox array looks
alright, then I would try skipping every other point in your time dimension
when you call the plot like this:
plot = gsn_csm_contour(wks,t_reorder(::2,:,0,0),res)
(This is reducing the size of the Y-axis dimension, which is not the axis
the error message is pointing to but it's worth a try.)

If you continue to have issues let the ncl-talk email list know.
Adam