[ncl-talk] Streamlines on map

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Wed Oct 17 09:57:47 MDT 2018

Hi Berny,

I'm not sure I understand your question.  The second image that you
included is a vector plot, not a streamline plot. Streamlines are simply
continuous vectors, and in the second image, the lines are not continuous,
so these are definitely vectors. You have already set the glyph style to
curly vectors, so this gives you something very similar to streamlines,
only not continuous.

I see that Rick responded to your message too, and he's correct that you
can simply replace your gsn_csm_vector call with gsn_csm_streamline.
However, you will not get the little vector reference annotation box,
because this is associated with vector plots only.

To see some examples of streamlines, go to:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/stream.shtml

--Mary