[ncl-talk] Lats&Longs on map

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Thu Oct 4 12:40:51 MDT 2018

Hi Berny,

The first problem is that you are calling wrf_overlays and not
wrf_map_overlays.  wrf_overlays just overlays one plot on another, and
since you are creating simple contour/vector plots with no maps involved,
you will not get any lat/lon information.

The second problem is that you are calling wrf_map_resources, which should
not be used when you are using wrf_xxxx functions to plot your data.

The solution is to use wrf_map_overlays instead of wrf_overlays, and
additionally to *not* call wrf_map_resources (wrf_map_overlays does this
for you).

To see some examples of wrf_map_overlays, go to:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/wrfgsn.shtml

You can look at the first example, which uses wrf_contour/wrf_map_overlays
in the wrf_nosgn_1.ncl example, and wrf_map_resources/gsn_csm_contour_map
in the wrf_gsn_1.ncl example. Both of these produce similar plots.

There are other examples on this page that show how to do multiple overlays
like what you have with contours and vectors. See wrf_gsn_5.ncl and
wrf_nogsn_5.ncl.

Good luck,

--Mary