[ncl-talk] map outline using shapefile

Adam Phillips asphilli at ucar.edu
Tue Nov 27 13:42:38 MST 2018

Hi Debasish,
I am guessing your shapefile outlines are more precise than NCL's built in
outlines, and that's why you're getting double boundaries being shown. I
would suggest continuing what you're doing, but tell NCL to exclude drawing
the Indian states by utilizing the mpMaskOutlineSpecifiers:
res at mpDataBaseVersion       = "MediumRes"
res at mpDataSetName         = "Earth..4"
res at mpOutlineMaskingOn = True
res at mpMaskOutlineSpecifiers = "Indian:states"    ; do not draw any outlines
specified here

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/Resources/mp.shtml#mpMaskOutlineSpecifiers
Example showing mpMaskOutlineSpecifier use:
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/Scripts/maponly_14.ncl
Example showing how to specify Indian states:
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/Scripts/maponly_16.ncl

If you have any further questions let ncl-talk know.
Adam

On Tue, Nov 27, 2018 at 1:16 PM Debasish Hazra <debasish.hazra5 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
> I am using shapefile to draw outline over India following polyg_shp_9.ncl
> example. However, my plotting domain covers other area besides India and
> when I am using
>  lnres= True
>  ind_met =
> gsn_add_shapefile_polylines(wks,plot_A,"./Indian_met_zones-master/indian_met_zones.v2.shp",lnres)
> in combination with
> res at mpOutlineOn               = False
>
> I am getting outline of India only, with neighboring counties boundaries
> not drawn.
>
> But when I am using
> res at mpOutlineOn               = True
> in combination with the above mentioned shapefile over India, I am getting
> double line borders over India (coming from both India met shapefile and
> ncl map outline). I have attached both resulting figures. How do I  solve
> this to combine both in proper way ?
>
> Thanks
> Debasish

Adam Phillips