[ncl-talk] ncl plot problem

Komal Shukla komalshukla1992 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 06:13:49 MST 2018

Hi,

I have being using ncl scripts to plot wrf_chem model outputs. It has been
working well so far, Recently I needed to plot for a variable named "eth" .
I have already plotted many variables of same category, and basically all I
had to do was to change the variable name to eth and get the plot.
When I ran the below mentioned script, my plot is getting values of a range
332000 to 440000, wherein the rreal range of data is in decimals, ranging
somewhere around 0.06-0.12.
I opened the netcdf data files and checked the vales, they were around
0.06-0.12 range only.

I am not understanding why my plot output is showing such axis values.

Can you look into this? The script is pasted below.

begin
 a = addfile("../wrfout_d02_2016-05-01_00:00:00.nc","r")
 it        = 0     ; first time step
  hgt       = wrf_user_getvar(a,"HGT_M",it)    ; Terrain elevation
  hgt at lat2d = wrf_user_getvar(a,"XLAT",it)   ; latitude/longitude
  hgt at lon2d = wrf_user_getvar(a,"XLONG",it)  ; required for plotting
  wks = gsn_open_wks("png","eth")
    FILES = systemfunc ("ls ../wrfout_d02_2016-05-01*") ; file paths
numFILES = dimsizes(FILES)
 aa    = addfiles (FILES+".nc", "r")     ;add multiple files
 eth = wrf_user_getvar(aa,"eth",-1)      ; 3D tc
  eth_avg=dim_avg_n(eth,0)
 eth_avg2D=eth_avg(0,:,:)
  eth_avg2D at lat2d = wrf_user_getvar(a,"XLAT",it)   ; latitude/longitude
  eth_avg2D at lon2d = wrf_user_getvar(a,"XLONG",it)  ; required for plotting
;---Set some basic plot options
  res               = True
  res at gsnMaximize   = True   ; maximize plot in frame
  res at cnFillOn      = True
res at cnLinesOn     = False
 res at mpProjection  = "CylindricalEquidistant"    ; The default
  res at gsnAddCyclic  = False
;---Additional resources desired
  res at pmTickMarkDisplayMode = "Always"   ; nicer tickmarks
res at mpDataBaseVersion     = "MediumRes"       ; better and more map outlines
  res at mpDataSetName         = "Earth..4"
  res at mpOutlineBoundarySets = "AllBoundaries"
 res at mpOutlineOn           = True
res at lbOrientation         = "Vertical"
  res at tiMainOffsetYF        = -0.03           ; Move the title down
contour = gsn_csm_contour_map(wks,eth_avg2D,res)
draw(contour)
  frame(wks)
---

Thanks

Komal Shukla
PhD Research Scholar
Indian Institute of Technology Delhi (IIT Delhi)
Hauz Khas, Delhi-110016