[ncl-talk] plot lead/lag correlation with statistical significance

Sujata Mandke amin at tropmet.res.in
Mon Nov 26 00:47:05 MST 2018

Respected Dennis Shea sir,

I have included all your suggestions in the ncl script (modified ncl script is attached).

The correlation plot using this ncl script is also attached.

For statistical significance - T he estimate of number of independent values

using " [ http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/equiv_sample_size.shtml | equiv_sample_size ] " for snow over Eurasia =64 and for SST over

East Pacific =7 . Minimum of the two, that is 7 is used for statistical significance

testing using "rtest". Probability values representing statistical significance of

correlation (for maximum lag=12) are high (ascii file for the same is

attached for total lag=12*2+1) and therefore none is

significant (not even near significance).

Does this indicate that none of the correlation is statistically

significant or there is a problem in the way it is estimated?

With best regards

Dr. Sujata Mandke

scientist, IITM,PUNE, INDIA