[ncl-talk] Onset dates

Dennis Shea shea at ucar.edu
Fri Nov 23 08:54:25 MST 2018

As noted, there is no NCL software that calculates (Indian) monsoon onset
and withdrawal.

Much has been written on this topic.
Please see the following. Perhaps, you could use the information to write
your own.

*Hydrological Definition of Indian Monsoon Onset and Withdrawal*
<https://doi.org/10.1175/1520-0442(2003)016%3C3200a:AHDOIM%3E2.0.CO;2>
J. Fasullo and P. J. Webster
J. Climate: 2002

*Objective Determination of the Date of Onset of Monsoon  Rainfall over
India based on Duration of Persistence
<http://www.cmmacs.ernet.in/cmmacs/Publications/resch_rep/rrcm0711.pdf>*P.
Goswami and K.C. Gouda
Research Report RR CM 0711
June 2007

*Objective determination of monsoon season onset, withdrawal, and length*
<https://doi.org/10.1029/2009JD012795>
B.I. Cook, B.M.Buckley
Climate and Dynamics (2009)

*Determination of Onset an d Withdrawal Dates of Summer Monsoon  across
India using NCEP/NCAR Re-analysis*
<https://www.tropmet.res.in/~lip/Publication/RR-pdf/RR-124.pdf>
N. Singh, A.A. Ranade
2010

*Characterizing the onset and demise of the Indian summer monsoon
<https://doi.org/10.1002/2016GL068409>*R. Noska, V. Misra

*Onset and withdrawal of the large-scale South Asian monsoon:     *
<https://doi.org/10.1002/2016GL071026>
* A dynamical definition using change point detection: MONSOON ONSET*
<https://doi.org/10.1002/2016GL071026>
J.M. Walker, S. Bordoni
Geophysical Research Letters 43(22) ·
November 2016