[ncl-talk] plot lead/lag correlation with statistical significance

Sujata Mandke amin at tropmet.res.in
Tue Nov 20 06:00:51 MST 2018

Dear NCL community,
Greetings!
 I have ploted lag/lead correlation (cc) between two area-averaged
(Eurasian snow and East Pacific SST) monthly time series as xy plot (line).
Further, I want to indicate which part of cc is statistically
significant on this line using line markers.

I had tested statistical significance of cc using “rtest”.
 In the ncl script(attached),  I have plotted  line for
 lead/lag correlation. How to mark part of this cc (line),
which is statistically significant by using line markers.

My questions are:
(i) Is my statistical significance testing correct?

(ii) how to indicate those points (by marker or any other way),
 that are statistically significant on the   lead/lag cc line plot.

I had extensively searched NCL-talk archives but
did not find solution to my problem. My guess is that,
 i had to use “where” function and then gsn_add_polymareker,
 but do not know how to implement this in the ncl script.
I am using NCL version 6.4.0 on linux machine.

Any suggestion would be of great help.
Many thanks in advance.
With best regards
Dr. Sujata Mandke
Scientist, Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology
PUNE, INDIA