[ncl-talk] gsLineThicknessF (bug?) in NCL 6.5

Bassill, Nicholas nbassill at albany.edu
Mon Nov 19 12:13:58 MST 2018

Hi All,

   I wanted to share a possible bug - although it's also possible I'm doing something wrong that I can't figure out. Long story short, I have a crontab'd, daily script that creates plots like this: http://operations.nysmesonet.org/~hudson2016/forecasts/2018103100SOMregressionforecast.png . That plot was created with NCL 6.3. It's a graph, with a table added to it below, with "res at gsLineThicknessF = 6" for the table line thickness. I relocated this script to a different computer that uses NCL 6.5. That plot looks like: http://operations.nysmesonet.org/~hudson2016/forecasts/2018110100SOMregressionforecast.png - notice the table line thicknesses are much thinner.

    I assumed I changed something in the move (and forgot), but recently I started making a new plot, also with a table attached to the bottom, using NCL 6.5, and sure enough, I can't change the line thickness.

Even though I know most of these resources aren't relevant, these are the resources I've rotated through trying:

  tableres at gsLineThicknessF = 10.0
  tableres at gsFillLineThicknessF  = 25.0
  tableres at gsEdgesOn = True
  tableres at gsEdgeThicknessF = 20.0

 .... all with no luck. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue, or has any suggestions?

My script is very lengthy, and the underlying data complex, so I'm not sharing it here, but the table portion looks like:

tableres = True
  ncr = (/11,4/)     ; 4 rows, 3 columns
  tableres at txFontHeightF = .012 ; fontvalues       ; Font height
  tableres at gsLineThicknessF = 10.0
  tableres at gsFillLineThicknessF  = 25.0
  tableres at gsEdgesOn = True
  tableres at gsEdgeThicknessF = 20.0

  tableres at txJust = "CenterCenter"
ncr = (/4,11/)
tableres at txFont = "helvetica-bold"
  text := round(transpose(forecastoutages),3)
  text := where(text.lt.0,0,text)+""

  y := (/0.02,0.12/)         ; Start and end X
  x := (/0.2,0.8/)         ; Start and end Y

  tableres at txFontHeightF = .011 ; fontvalues       ; Font height
  tableres at txJust = "CenterCenter"

  colors := 10+round(transpose(forecastoutages),3)
  colors := where(colors.gt.220,220,colors)
  colors := where(colors.lt.10,10,colors)

  tableres at gsFillColor := colors

  gsn_table(wks,ncr,x,y,text,tableres)

ncr = (/4,1/)
x = (/.04,.2/)
res at gsFillColor := "white"
gsn_table(wks,ncr,x,y,(/"10% Worst Case:","Best Forecast~N~:","90% Worst Case:","99% Worst Case:"/),tableres)

ncr = (/1,11/)
x = (/0.2,0.8/)
y = (/0.12,0.145/)

  gsn_table(wks,ncr,x,y,dayarray,tableres)

Nick Bassill, PhD

Modeler & Meteorologist, Center Of Excellence (Prior: NYS Mesonet)

LC SB-28, 1400 Washington Ave.,

SUNY, University at Albany, NY 12222

(518) 442-6375
NYSM Products: http://operations.nysmesonet.org/~nbassill/