[ncl-talk] gsn_csm_contour_map in Panel plot runs out of memory

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Tue Nov 13 13:38:10 MST 2018

Hi Melissa,

We need to know more about the problem in order to determine why so much
memory is being requested.

As Barry asked, did you get an error message?  In particular, did you get
an error message like this:

 fatal:ContourPlotDraw: Workspace reallocation would exceed maximum size

and then add some code that looks like this to deal with it?

  setvalues NhlGetWorkspaceObjectId()
    "wsMaximumSize" : xxxxxx
  end setvalues

If so, how big did you set wsMaximumSize to?

Also, how big is the variable that is being passed to gsn_csm_contour_map?
You can do a "printVarSummary" on it and then post that back to ncl-talk.
How many contour levels are you generating for each plot? This can cause
more memory to be required.

If these are large arrays that you'r contouring, then using raster fill
might help speed things up:

  res at cnFillMode = "RasterFill"

These are just a few of the suggestions.  You may need to review the
variables that you are reading and/or calculating to see how big they are,
and whether you really need to do this kind of calculation across the whole
domain.

As a final step, it would help if we could look at your script, and even
better if we could try running it on casper.