[ncl-talk] Vorticity Advection with NCL

Dennis Shea shea at ucar.edu
Mon May 21 11:21:31 MDT 2018

ESMF 37 was
(a)  interpolating u and v onto a rectilinear grid;
(b)  calculating divergence using uv2dv_cfd which requires u and v to be on
a rectilinear grid;
(c)  interpolating the derived divergence on a rectilinear grid back onto
the original WRF grid

---
In your case:

[1] Interpolate the WRF u, v and relative vorticity to a rectilinear grid
with as fine [or finer] resoultion as the WRF grid
[2] Use 'advect_variable' on the rectilinear grid
[3] interpolate the advected quantity on the rectilinear grid back onto the
original WRF grid

---
Caveat: Technically, on a sphere,  u and v must be interpolated together
using the 'rotation' angle.
Why? because the new location has a 'slightly' different orientation
relative to the pole(s)

  unew        = u*cos(rot) - v*sin(rot)
  vnew        = u*sin(rot) + v*cos(rot)

The above approach, independently interpolating u and v ignores the
rotation. It is assumed to be very small.