[ncl-talk] color index exceeds size of palette

Rick Brownrigg brownrig at ucar.edu
Sat May 12 10:41:22 MDT 2018

Hi,

Historically, the first two colors in a colormap were reserved as
"background" and "foreground" colors, typically black and white. To
preserve backwards compatibility, that is still the case when colors are
associated with the *workstation*. However, in the case of colormaps that
are loaded into a *palette* that is expressly used for contouring, vectors,
streamlines, etc. those first two colors are stripped out of the colormap.
So I think the short answer is you want to adjust all your color indices by
-2 (except of course the -1 indexes designating "TRANSPARENT".

Looking at the color palette you are using:

http://ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/ColorTables/BlueDarkRed18.shtml

We see the indices going from 2 to 19