[ncl-talk] Assign 2d Lat Lon matrices as coordinates to a 2d variable matrix

Athanasios Karagiannidis thankar at live.com
Tue Mar 27 10:42:02 MDT 2018

Dear all

Could someone help with the following: I have a 2d matrix of a variable (let’s call it FR), extracted from an hdf5 file. I get a 2d Lat matrix and a 2d Lon matrix from 2 other files. How can I assign these Lat and Lon matrices as dimensions for FR? I need to point out here, that the grid in not regular.
I already thought about transforming FR, Lat, and Lon to a 1d matrices, and combining them to a single matrix with Lat, Lon and FR as the first, second and third column respectively. But I think it would be more elegant, and less resource-consuming if I could just assign the Lat Lon matrices as coordinates to FR matrix.

Thank you in advance

Athanasios Karagiannidis

Athanasios F. Karagiannidis
Physicist, PhD Meteorology and Climatology
E-mail: thankar at live.com