[ncl-talk] Data model.nc required

Dennis Shea shea at ucar.edu
Mon Mar 12 08:13:35 MDT 2018

The 'model.nc' was meant to indicate a 'generic' model output file. It
could be *any* file (eg: reanalysis file). The point was to illustrate the
input to *wrf_cape_3d *does *not *have to be a WRF file. The function just
needs the correct input.

Example: I had a climate model netCDF file containing monthly mean
variables. Now, in practice, a user would not compute CAPE using monthly
mean data. However, I had the file readily available. So for illustration:

---
   diri = "./"
   fili = "ccsm35.h0.0021-01.nc"
   pthi = diri+fili
   f    = addfile(pthi, "r")

;; p = f->P             ; the climate model uses hybrid levels; compute 'p'
   hya  = f->hyam
   hyb  = f->hybm
   p0   = f->P0
   psfc = f->PS
   p    = pres_hybrid_ccm(psfc,p0,hya,hyb)

   t = f->T
   q = f->Q
   z = f->Z3

   zsfc = f->PHIS
   zsfc = zsfc/9.8      ; m^2/s^2 ==> m
   printVarSummary(zsfc)

   cinfo = wrf_cape_3d(p, t, q, z, zsfc, psfc, False) ; cinfo(2,...)
   printVarSummary(cinfo)

===
Variable: cinfo
Type: float
Total Size: 3317760 bytes
            829440 values
Number of Dimensions: 5
Dimensions and sizes:    [cape_cin | 2] x [time | 1] x [lev | 30] x [lat |
96] x [lon | 144]
Coordinates:
Number Of Attributes: 1
  _FillValue :    9.96921e+36