[ncl-talk] "newcolor_14.ncl" with polar stereographic plots

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Thu Mar 8 11:59:50 MST 2018

Hi Denise,

​There's a bug in this script that is causing the labelbar height to be
used in the calculation it uses to determine the size of the individual
plots.

To fix this​, you need to subscript the leftmost dimension of bb to be
"0:2", so it doesn't also grab the labelbar object:

  bb     = NhlGetBB(pplots)
  height = max(bb(0:2,0)) - min(bb(0:2,1))

I think the only reason it worked for the Aitoff case is because these
plots are not as high as the polar plots, so it wasn't running out of room
to place all the plots. In the case of polar plots, which have the same
width and height, it ran out of room by the time it got to the third row,
and so it squished them to make them fit.

More than you probably wanted to know, but hopefully this fix works for
you. I've updated newcolor_14.ncl on the web to have this fix.

--Mary