[ncl-talk] Set colour over the plot

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Wed Mar 7 14:16:39 MST 2018

The reason you are only getting one plot is because you are only plotting
var3:

  map = gsn_csm_contour_map(wks, var3, res)
  plot = gsn_csm_contour(wks, var3, res2)

Also, you set gsnDraw and gsnFrame to False for both res and res2, so the
only way you will see the plots is if you call "draw" and "frame"
explicitly. I see that you did this for "map", but not for "plot", so
that's why you are only seeing one plot.

Did you mean to also plot var1 and var2? If so, do you want to plot them
all on the same map?

If you do want to overlay everything on one map plot, then I think you are
almost there.  You can try something like this:

  map = gsn_csm_contour_map(wks, var3, res)
  plot1 = gsn_csm_contour(wks, var1, res1)
  plot2 = gsn_csm_contour(wks, var2, res2)

  overlay(map,plot2)
  overlay(map,plot1)

You will need to set up a res1 resource list, or you can use the res2 one
if you want the same resources.

Now, when you draw map later, you should see the plots from var1 and var2,
because the "overlay" procedure effectively "attaches" them to the "map"
plot.

For more information about the "overlay" procedure, see the overlay
examples page:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/overlay.shtml

In particular, look at examples conOncon_9.ncl and overlay_12.ncl.

--Mary