[ncl-talk] mask ocean areas

Adam Phillips asphilli at ucar.edu
Mon Mar 5 13:58:12 MST 2018

Hi Sri,
To add to Mary's reply you can also tell NCL to color fill the ocean basins
last, thereby applying a graphical mask.
Example:
res at mpFillOn = True
res at mpFillColors = (/-1,0,-1,-1/)   ; set ocean to white, see:
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/Resources/mp.shtml#mpFillColors
res at mpFillDrawOrder = "PostDraw"   ; do the map fill
res at mpPerimDrawOrder = "PostDraw"   ; and perimeter draw last
res at mpOutlineDrawOrder = "Draw"        ; draw the map outlines second
res at cnFillDrawOrder = "PreDraw"          ; draw the color-filled contours
first

Adam

On Mon, Mar 5, 2018 at 1:06 PM, Mary Haley <haley at ucar.edu> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Please see our masking examples at:
>
> http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/mask.shtml
>
> In particular, you may want to look at example mask_5.ncl which uses the
> landsea_mask function, or example mask_12.ncl which uses a shapefile to do
> the masking.
>
> --Mary
>

> On Mon, Mar 5, 2018 at 9:50 AM, Sri Nandini <snandini at marum.de> wrote:
>
>> Hello
>>
>> I am trying to mask out ocean areas in my plot.
>> Could someone please help me out with this? Is there mask data i can
>> download from NCL?

Adam Phillips