[ncl-talk] Fw: lintint2_points

Dennis Shea shea at ucar.edu
Mon Jan 29 21:04:38 MST 2018

[1] As noted in the documentation, linint2_points Interpolates from a
*rectilinear grid* to a user specified set of points using bilinear
interpolation.

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/linint2_points.shtml

[2] The SMAP data are on a *curvilinear* grid: [DIM_000 | 406] x [DIM_001 |
964] . Hence, 'linint2_points'  will not work.

[3] I suggest that you
     (a) use ESMF regridding to interpolate from the curvilinear grid to a
rectilinear grid of approximately the same resolution.
     (b) then use linint2_points on (3a)

===
See the NARR Example 5. NARR uses a curvilinear grid. Create an SMAP ESMF
weight file [eg: ESMF eamaple 30) ; Use the weight file to generate a
rectilinear grid; use linint2_points.

 http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/narr.shtml

Good luck