[ncl-talk] missing values in reg_multlin_stats

Dennis Shea shea at ucar.edu
Wed Jan 24 22:44:06 MST 2018

Hello,

You did ftp most of the files. However, the 'stability_E_total.nc' file is
not present.

---
Furher, offline you sent two scripts. One was a "simple script"; the other
was (let's say) not so simple'.

====
[1]
"my code is very simple:"

I edited your "simple code" to make it as simple as possible
                                                            ; **edited
code**
ana=addfile("clouds_E_total.nc","r")
CLDLOW=ana->CLDLOW                  ; (180,96,144)
printVarSummary(CLDLOW)

ana=addfile("stability_E_total.nc","r")  ; missing file  ... not on ftp site
theta_ANN=ana->theta_ANN
printVarSummary(theta_ANN)             ;  (???, ?96?,?144?)  <=== missing
file

CLDLOW_1d=ndtooned(CLDLOW)
theta_ANN_1d=ndtooned(theta_ANN)  ; is this the same shape & size as
CLDLOW????

print("nmsg_CLDLOW="+num(ismissing(CLDLOW_1d)))          ; =0
print("nmsg_theta_ANN="+num(ismissing(theta_ANN_1d)))

; the following inputs 180*96*180 values for each variable.
; Is that what you want to do???

opt = True
opt at print_anova = True     ; optional
opt at print_data  = True
b   =  reg_multlin_stats(CLDLOW_1d,theta_ANN_1d,opt) ; partial regression
coef

Not sure what to say. Does variable theta_ANN have 180 time steps?
The _ANN (?Annual?) suffix would imply to me that these are annual values
rather than monthly values.
If this is the case you would have to make the CLDLOW variables also be
Annual values.
The dimensionalities must match.

You said that the stability has missing values. The dimensionalites MUST
match . If so,
you can use the following two step approacj

(a)
CLDLOW at _FillValue = theta_ANN at _FillValue
CLDLOW = where(ismissing(theta_ANN), CLDLOW at _FillValue, CLDLOW)

(b)
The way you have the independent and dependent variables as 1D would weight
grid points near the poles the same as values at low latitudes. I do *not*
think this is appropriate. High latitude grid points represent much smaller
areas.

After step (a)  you should compute weighted areal averages

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Contributed/wgt_areaave_Wrap.shtml

The files you sent do not have any gaussian weights [ gwt ] so you could
the cos(rad*lat)
or
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Contributed/latGauWgt.shtml

for  the wgty.

The 'wgt_areaave' function allows missing values.

This will yield one global time series which is what I think you want.

=====================

Your 2nd offline script is quite a bit more complicated. Also, it looks
like you only want latitudes north of 30N. Correct? I'd suggest the
following approach. It will make for much smaller arrays.

diri = "./"
diri = "/project/cas/shea/netCDF_Misc/"

latStrt = 30.0
latLast = 90.0

ana=addfile(diri+"clouds_E_total.nc","r")     ; *hybrid* levels
CLDLOW=ana->CLDLOW(:,{latStrt:latLast},:)
printVarSummary(CLDLOW)                       ; [time | 180] x [lat | 32] x
[lon | 144]

print(CLDLOW&lat)

---
Your 2nd script is treating variable RH's hybrid levels to be mixed with
omega's  isobaric levels. In my opinion, this is not appropriate.

This script also mask out ocean areas.

You can use an approach like (b)

   lsm = ....  ; land-sea mask

Then, use an approach where CLDLOW , theta_ANN are masked via (say)

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/mask.shtml

Then do the global averges; then the regression.

----
Please when you send code to ncl-talk, it shoul be clean and structured.
Please do not include numerous commented lines. It is tedious to read code
that has been heavily commented.

Good luck