[ncl-talk] shapefiles problem

Rick Brownrigg brownrig at ucar.edu
Tue Jan 23 15:43:13 MST 2018

OK, I think I understand now. That particular shapefile, Glaciar, contains
only point features (see dump below) with just 5 features in it. I believe
the shapefile must contain polygonal regions against which to mask.

ncl 0> f=addfile("Glaciares.shp","r")
ncl 1> print(f)

Variable: f
Type: file
filename:    Glaciares
path:    Glaciares.shp
   file global attributes:
      layer_name : Glaciares
      geometry_type : point
      geom_segIndex : 0
      geom_numSegs : 1
      segs_xyzIndex : 0
      segs_numPnts : 1
   dimensions:
      geometry = 2
      segments = 2
      num_features = 5  // unlimited
      num_segments = 5
      num_points = 5
   variables:
      integer geometry ( num_features, geometry )

      integer segments ( num_segments, segments )

      double x ( num_points )

      double y ( num_points )

      integer Id ( num_features )

      string Nombre ( num_features )

ncl 2> print(f->Nombre)

Variable: Nombre (file variable)
Type: string
Total Size: 40 bytes
            5 values
Number of Dimensions: 1
Dimensions and sizes:    [num_features | 5]
Coordinates:
Number Of Attributes: 0
(0)    Glaciar Cipreses
(1)    Glaciar Palomo