[ncl-talk] A question about computing the divergence given the WRF output file

Dennis Shea shea at ucar.edu
Mon Jan 22 13:05:46 MST 2018

[0] wrfhelp would likely be the best place to ask about this.
---
[1] Attached are some fortran subroutines to calculate various quantities
using WRF data.
   wrf_curl_div.f: http://forum.wrfforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2267
   wrf_vort.f:
http://mailman.ucar.edu/pipermail/ncl-talk/2014-November/001483.html

These can be invoked from an NCL script by using WRAPIT:
   https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Tools/WRAPIT.shtml
Likely, you can ignore warning messages.

%> WRAPIT wrf_curl_div.f
%> WRAPIT wrf_vort.f

NOTE: these were *not written or tested* by NCL developers. Hence, they are
*not supported*.

==================
[2] An alternative that may be adequate if the divergence is being
calculated for visual purposes is:

   https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/ESMF.shtml

   (a) interpolate the zonal and meridional wind components to a
rectilinear grid;
   (b) Use the *uv2dv_cfd*
<https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/uv2dv_cfd.shtml>
function to compute divergence on the rectilinear grid;
   (c) interpolate the derived divergence (b) onto the original WRF grid.

Good Luck