[ncl-talk] masks from shapefile; problem at 90N and 0E/180E

Denise Worthen - NOAA Affiliate denise.worthen at noaa.gov
Sun Jan 21 14:42:45 MST 2018

Hi,

I am using a shapefile file which contains the boundaries for all the
regions of the world ocean. The tar file is 100MB, so I won't be able to
attach it, but I downloaded it from here ("IHO Sea Areas", V2):

http://www.marineregions.org/downloads.php

I'm using the attached script to generate masks for selected regions on a
lat/lon grid. This example uses low resolution grid, but the problem is
still present at my desired resolution (1/4 deg). The script seems to work
fine, but the masks are not getting values at 90N and 0E/180E.

I could fix this manually when I go to use the file of course, but is there
something I'm missing to get the masks created correctly in the first place?

Thanks,
Denise.