[ncl-talk] fatal error reading variables from CALIPSO hdf file

Rick Brownrigg brownrig at ucar.edu
Fri Jan 19 14:55:30 MST 2018

Hi Zhifeng,

There are two variables in that file that cause this error when trying to
read them, and suspiciously enough, they are both of type ushort. I can
tell that error is coming from the HDF library, but I don't have an
environment where I can tell why. Using strace, it appears as though the
data are actually getting read from the file, but no insights as to why
ultimately an error code is returned to NCL.  I'm using hdf-4.2.11 -- there
is a newer hdf-4.2.13, but the release notes don't indicate a problem of
this nature has been resolved.

As a work around, I wondered about converting the HDF4 into either netcdf4
or hdf5. I tried using our ncl_convert2nc, but it complained with several
errors.  Perhaps there are other tools out there you might be aware of for
converting HDF4 files?

I'm sorry, I wish I had a better answer for you, but I've hit a dead end on
this.

Rick