[ncl-talk] Polar plots - Actual pole / Latitudes ?

Rick Brownrigg brownrig at ucar.edu
Thu Jan 18 10:01:36 MST 2018

Hi Helen,

To you second question:  it looks like the resource "mpGridLatSpacingF"
controls the latitude grid. The default is 15-deg, which checks out with
your plot. I don't know of a way to label lats on a polar plot, and none of
our examples show this.

As for the 1st question, I still think that perhaps your data does not
extend all the way to the pole (can you confirm?), and what we are seeing
that looks like a marker is actually blank background along with remnants
of the dashed longitude grid. If you look closely at that grid, all the
lines except the 0,90,180,270, stop at the 75th latitude line, whereas
those 4 continue on to the pole. The dashed nature of the lines makes it
look like a tick-mark. In any case, if the data does not extend all the way
to 90-deg, the plotting routines will not interpolate, and so you'll need
to find some other means to interpolate the data across the pole before
plotting.  I'm not really expert at this.

I hope that helps,
Rick