[ncl-talk] CF Convention

Carl Schreck cjschrec at ncsu.edu
Fri Jan 5 08:56:37 MST 2018

Which CF convention version does NCL primarily use?

Ken Knapp (CC'd) is developing a new version of IBTrACS (beta version
attached) and says it's CF 1.6/1.7 compliant. But he uses "time" as one of
the named dimensions of many of the variables, but also uses "time" as a
2-d variable, not related to that dimension.

When I try to read any of the variables that have time as a dimension, I
get this error:

fatal:_NclOneDValCoordDataCreate: Number of dimensions is greater than one,
could not create coordinate data object

I also cannot write a _FillValue to the time variable since NCL believes
time to be a coordinate variable. (no error provided, it just doesn't do
it).

It'd probably be cleaner to just rename one of the "times", but we were
just curious if the current format runs afoul of the CF convention or
whether NCL is adding the extra limitations.

Thanks!
Carl

--

<https://ncics.org/> *Carl J. Schreck III, PhD*