[ncl-talk] XY Plot from 3 Different WRF Simulations Question

Dennis Shea shea at ucar.edu
Mon Feb 26 15:28:16 MST 2018

Just to mention that

https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/addfiles.shtml

could be quite useful. In particular, Example 2

  f    = *addfiles* (wrf_fils, "r")   ; note the "s" of *addfile*
<https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/addfile.shtml>
  *ListSetType*
<https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/ListSetType.shtml>
(f, "join")

If you have (say) 3 WRF files with the same dimension (eg: 3 different
ensemble members) then

    T    = f[:]->T                ; read T from all files
   *printVarSummary*
<https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/printVarSummary.shtml>
(T)

The *printVarSummary*
<https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/printVarSummary.shtml>
procedure yields:

   Variable: T
   Type: float
   Total Size:  460800 bytes
                115200 values
   Number of Dimensions: 5
   Dimensions and sizes:   *[ncl_join | 3]* x [time|?] x  [lev | 5] x
[lat | 48] x [lon | 96]

Basically, you have 3 versions (ensemble members) of the same variable .

This variable (data) structure facilitates  selecting individual
ensemble members via the leftmost dimension.

Really, using NCL's 'dim_*_n* fumctions alloes you to do a lot of statistics.

Good luck